Friday, September 12

A lesson on hurricanes... Oh Jim Cantore eat your heart out!



Disclaimer: this is a satire, please read with caution...haha

First, I know I have been lacking on my blogging in the last week, Adam let me know this. My reply was "I dont have much to write about" his response "Oh my gosh, you have me, the greatest thing ever, what is there not to write about" In that case.. Oh Adam you are wonderful!




Ok back to the blog, as most of you know Hurricane Ike is on its way to Galveston and Houston Texas. Only 100 or so miles off the coast, expecting to hit around 1am tonight, the Weather Channel is on Red Alert and Direct TV is broadcasting a local Texas news station around the nation. Whoa! as a native of Florida and having been through a hurricane or two, I know WCJB channel 7 of Gainesville, FL was never broadcasts nationally! Its another Pres. Bush Texas realtions conspiracy! (jusk kidding) As I watch the updates on Ike, its more entertaining (with all do respect) than 90% of the shows on TV. These guys are great, how many ways can you say "we are 10 hrs away from landfall, please leave the area for your safety, we expect to see a surge of 15 ft." Not many? Oh 'On Contrare' meterologists must take a class in how many ways to say "hurricane coming, leave now" As a sidenote, please be aware if you are awaiting your local forecasts on the 8's you are not going to see it, 10 hours out and the Weather Channel is in FULL coverage, so eventhough Ohio is about to get slammed by strong storms and potential tornados, hey have some respect, there is a hurricane 10 hrs away. I must confess, I understand the Weather Channel has been awaiting the landfall of Ike since August, but seriously I could use some form of local weather.


It gets better, in preparation for hurricanes I find it best to motivate people to make a decision, leave or stay, and then prepare for the best outcome in which ever choice they have made. For example, if they are going, leave early, pack light and make sure you are prepared to wait in traffic. If you are staying, pull out the canned goods, fill the bath with water (to flush the toilets) make sure you have a radio and batteries and a flash light handy, charge the cell phone and hang on tight. Oh NO, not the news... At the top of the hour Ike segment on the Weather Channel the lead anchor come on and says word for word "Hurricane Ike is coming, Prepare for loss of life, catastrophic damage!" Holy crap I am in Ohio and now I think the world is about to end. Way to reasure the people in Texas. In all respect, I do understand that they have to be realistic and show the danger to deter people from galavanting on the coast as a storm surge increases.


This brings me to my next point,...

First this just in, the news is now refering the hurricane to skinny ice skaters vs. long armed hockey players...No Joke! Or they could just say centripical force is an awesome power, here is how it works.. no it appears Ike is "wobbling hockey player, not a skinny short armed ice skater" Local Texas news station channel 11.


As I am watching the coverage, really mesmerized by it for the aforementioned reasons, the news is showing people (very brilliant people) taking pictures and playing in the ocean surf (10 ft surges already). First of all, the water is disgusting, really why play in that. Then they show people jet skiing in the background and finally a person dressed up in a bear costume running and skipping on the beach....wow go Texas! If this isnt good entertainment I just dont know what it is. Here is a link to the video of the news report http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iul__OgJlas#

With all the best going to those in Texas, I hope the damage is limited and the Cat 2 Ike isnt near as damaging as they are calling for. As the weather channels says, "Stay tuned through out the storm for the latest information on Ike, especially those in the path of the storm" At first one thinks whats wrong that, well considering the power is going to be out long before and after the storm hits, I guess they wont get those up to the minute updates.


have a good weekend all, enjoy the 'Katie Satire' for the day and yes Ohio is now probably going to get hit by a hurricane b/c I wrote this... I will be prepared.

1 comment:

Grandma Gator said...

That was TREE-mendous; ohhh...whatch out for that TREE!
Hey, It's JIM CANTORE!
Ohhhh noooo; it's only 10pm and he is saying..."OK we're done here; the wind gusts are crazy! Back to you, Mike Sidell! We're done here!!" Oh my goodness; why did he sign off so soon? Did he forgot his hurricane goggles? Did he have to pee? I do not know; buy we will see!
Love, Grandma Gator!